Sunday, January 25, 2009

At Their Mother's Knee

Words and Music by Afterglow
Published in Afterglow - A More Perfect Light

I know you've read the stories of the prophets and their days;
And they often leave a tribute to the ones who taught the way,
Being born of goodly parents, being taught at mother's knee.
And I'm sure that most of us could say that the same applies to me.

Could I learn through my own light to gain humility?
Could I seek to know the meaning of the truths you gave to me?
Could I understand all by myself, the truths that set us free?
Or did I learn them at my mother's knee?

Could I learn without your guiding hand to choose the better part?
Could I recognize the feelings when the Spirit touched my heart?
Could I ever know the blessings of a good and honest choice,
If not for listn'ing to my mother's voice?

And now I have my own sons and daughters two or three,
And I hope someday they'll feel the same 'bout what means so much to me.
For we try to teach our children, but it's just not enough to say,
For they'll only learn to talk to God if they see their parents pray.

(Repeat "Could" phrases"

No comments:

Post a Comment